Monday, November 3, 2008

Ex-President Obama

I was trying to imagine what Barack Obama might do when he retires from the Presidency he will presumably win tomorrow. He will be either 51 or 55--many years of productive life ahead of him. I tried to picture him as an ex-President community organizer. Tried to picture him back in Congress. Even tried to picture him pulling a Taft and becoming a Chief Justice. I'm pretty sure he won't go shooting elephants in Africa when his term is up like Teddy Roosevelt did.

Few compare Barack Obama to Theodore Roosevelt. Some have compared him to Franklin D Roosevelt, and some to John F Kennedy. Reformers both, and Sen. Obama shares JFK's youth. What would JFK do in retirement? I'm so used to the image of JFK shot in 1963, I have to stretch my imagination to think about what he would have done in old age.

FDR, JFK, BHO... Here's hoping that if Joe Biden ever becomes President, it will not be through the Twenty-fifth Amendment.

No comments: